Friday, January 4, 2019

Yearbook photos on Ancestry

Yesterday I started going through the documents for my Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War, 1861-1865 application, but I wanted a cup of coffee. I have found I cannot have a drink near my paperwork so I needed to do some work online.

I went to the little leaf on the title bar of my Ancestry.com account and followed some of those leads. Sometimes it's too time intensive and I can't follow those trails so I decided to go a different route. I opened up my tree and started looking at my tree in the vertical view vs. pedigree view. I like to look at hints that are newer than the 1800s. I like the ones of those that are still living.

I found my uncle's high school photo in his school yearbook. Today I found my cousin's photo in her yearbook. I'll often download the picture and then crop to make it their profile picture if I don't have one for them. These yearbook photos give me a glimpse into my family in other ways than I have seen them.

My uncle was fifteen when I was born so when this photo was taken I was about three. I kind of remember him in looking like this, but he still have would been in his twenties in my memory instead of a teen. It's fun to look in the yearbook and see if it really is a family member.

I do have a brother I've never met, and unfortunately passed away in 1988. He was only two years older that I am. I have a picture of him when he was very young, but none when he was older. I found a Paul Nelson that could be him, but I'm not sure. If so this would give me a glimpse into what he looked like as a schoolboy. I'll keep hunting and hopefully find something that gives me an image of him. Thanks Ancestry.com for providing these! I appreciate it!

                                                 

                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment