Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Silas Nelson-My 4th great uncle

                                          

Silas Nelson

Silas is my 4th great uncle on my father's father's side. On Ancestry.com I came across a page of links that Lilajane2 had originally posted. It's titled Links about Capture of OH 7th Knoxville CAMPAIGN. I read through this treasure and found a link for the book pictured above.

My Uncle Silas was part of the Ohio 7th Calvary. He died of chronic diarrhea in Richmond, VA, where Belle Isle is located in April 1864.

According to Links about Capture of OH 7th Knoxville CAMPAIGN, "Participating in the Knoxville Campaign in the autumn of 1863, the 7th suffered a significant setback in a small skirmish in Greeneville, TN, on Nov. 6. Confederate Major General Robert Ransom, Jr., and Brig. General William E. "Grumble" Jones dispersed Union cavalry and infantry in the area, seizing numerous prisoners from the 7th Ohio Cavalry and the 2nd East Tennessee Mounted Infantry regiments.

The book shown above is one man's look into what happened to those men taken captive. One of those men was Salmon Bickel.  Supposedly Salmon Bickel was a relative of Silas Nelson, but I haven't found that connection yet. I Googled Salmon Bickel and found this; http://www.galliagenealogy.org/History/salmon.htm

I've been able to find Sila's Death Registry in the U.S., Registers of Deaths of Volunteers, 1861-1865, and his widow's Pension application.

I've started reading John Ransom's Andersonville Diary, and look forward to finding out more about my 4th great uncle, Silas Nelson.

No comments:

Post a Comment