Friday, December 28, 2018

Joined the National Society United States Daughters of 1812 too!

Back in June 2016 I inquired with the San Diego Chapter of the National Society United States Daughters of 1812 about joining. I found a paternal grandfather that qualified, and he was from my maiden name of Nelson. I received an online application to print and fill out. I had homework to do!


This is the information I sent in the original email:

U.S., War of 1812 Service Records, 1812-1815
NameSampson Nelson
Company60 REG'T (MINOR'S) VIRGINIA MILITIA.
Rank - InductionPRIVATE
Rank - DischargePRIVATE
Roll Box152
Microfilm PublicationM602














I did have a hard time proving that my 3rd great-grandfather was the son of my 4th great-grandfather. My 4th great-grandfather Sampson Nelson died in the fall of 1830. My 3rd great-grandfather Eli Nelson, his son, was born about 1831. Since Sampson died before Eli was born they were not on any documentation together.

In the 1850 Census Nancy VonSchriltz (Sampson's widow who had remarried and my 4th great-grandmother, was listed as head of the household with an Eli aged 20. This was the earliest documentation I have found with Eli being tied together with the Nelsons.




Name
Eli Nelson
Age
20
Birth Year
abt 1830
Birthplace
Ohio
Home in 1850
Salem, Meigs, Ohio, USA
Gender
Male
Family Number
161
Household Members
NameNancy Vonschriltz
Age57
NameLucy Ann Nelson
Age25
NameSilas Nelson
Age22
NameEli Nelson
Age20




























By December 2016 I had sent my application to our local chapter membership registrar to preview. In December 2017 I received news that my application had been approved and I was an official member!

I attended my first 1812 meeting in April. They only meet twice a year, and with my schedule right now I'm not able to go. I'm hoping to free that up this coming year so I can participate. I did receive my name tag a few months ago, and I need to order my ribbon to wear to the meetings.

My lineage from Sampson Nelson:

Sampson Nelson
|
Eli Nelson
|
Rufus Nelson
|
Ray Nelson
|
Arthur Nelson
|
Victor Nelson
|
Me






No comments:

Post a Comment