Thursday, December 8, 2016

The National Society United States Daughters of 1812

I've been working on my application to apply to The National Society United States Daughters of 1812. I'm hoping to join from my Nelson line through Sampson Nelson. I've sent my application in for preview. I've copied my documents, and written the necessary information on the back of each. My glitch is that Sampson Nelson and Eli Nelson, his son, never appear in documents together by name. Sampson died the year Eli was born. Eli is listed in the 1830 census as a tic mark, but not a name. I don't have a birth or death record for Sampson either. I do have a marriage record, and his 1812 service record which I found on Ancestry and Fold3.

To further complicate things his wife was Ann Carnes, but went by Nancy. On their marriage record she is listed as Ann Carnes, but after that is referred to as Nancy Nelson. When Sampson died Nancy married his friend Lewis Vonschriltz so she is also Nancy Vonschriltz. Nancy is on record as having a son named Eli Nelson so I'm hoping those facts can be tied together.

Now I'm going to work on application to Daughters of the American Revolution.

Happy Hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment